WE ARE OPEN and ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS! We are immediately available to answer your questions and discuss your case via telephone, video conferencing, or in person.

Call or email us today to schedule a consultation.

Individual Attention Professional Representation

Immigration FAQs

Help from Our Jacksonville Immigration Lawyer

Being involved in an immigration matter of any kind can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. One of the most effective ways of managing that stress is to gather information and understand what you can expect from the process. At the Law Office of Joanne M. Fakhre, our immigration attorney in Jacksonville is committed to providing you with everything you need to succeed in your goals. Read on to see answers to some of the most common questions we are asked, and feel free to call us today at (904) 447-1937 to learn more. We are here to help!

  • How can you lose legal permanent residence status?
    • Abandonment: If you remain outside the U.S. for too long (180 days or more annually). If you reside in another country, you will likely be seen as having abandoned your residency here. Should you be required to stay away for an extended period of time, it is in your best interest to consult with our immigration lawyer about your options.
    • Immigration Fraud: If you commit fraud, omit relevant information or your application, assist someone else to commit immigration fraud, your card can be revoked.
    • Criminal convictions: Committing serious crimes can result in your being deported and your green card being revoked.
  • What is marriage fraud?

    Marriage fraud means that you have entered into a marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card. Marriage fraud is a federal crime punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

  • How do I adjust my status once I’m in the U.S.?

    If you are already in the U.S., you may be eligible to become a legal permanent resident by filing an Adjustment of Status application without having to leave the country to apply for an immigrant visa. If a current visa number is available, then adjustment of status can be filed at the same time with the family-based or employment-based immigration petition. Some individuals who are in the U.S. are not eligible for this adjustment of status. Consult with Ms. Fakhre to find out what your options are and how to go about accomplishing them.

  • Are you allowed to work at all while waiting for a work visa?

    No, you cannot. You must wait until your visa is issued. Once issued, you can legally be employed in the U.S. and eventually apply for an adjustment of status.

  • What are the reasons for denying someone a green card?

    Your application may be denied because the forms were not filled out correctly, supporting documentation is missing, or your eligibility to become a legal permanent resident is in question. Ms. Fakhre, our Jacksonville immigration lawyer, can review your case and help you correct any errors or find other options to help you achieve your goals.

  • As an employer, how can I sponsor an immigrant worker for a green card?

    Depending on the country of origin of the immigrant, this process can take several years. An immigration attorney can help make sure all necessary steps are completed along the way, starting with the PERM Labor Certification process to prove there are no U.S. citizens available or suitable for the position to be held by the immigrant worker.

  • Who qualifies as an immigrant investor?

    Foreign nationals investing in a commercial enterprise must meet certain criteria to qualify for immigrant investor visas. These individuals must invest a minimum of $1 million USD of their own money, or $500,000 USD if the commercial enterprise is in a rural or high-unemployment area. Within two years, the commercial enterprise must also create at least 10 full-time jobs for U.S. citizens or other individuals legally authorized to work in this country, not including the investor or their immediate family members.

Contact the Attorney

Schedule a Consultation Today
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
      You entered an invalid number.
    • Please enter a message.
    • I have read the disclaimer.

      Please read and agree to the disclaimer

      Disclaimer: The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

  • Avvo 10
  • Florida Association for Women Lawyers
  • The Florida Bar Seal
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • Lawyer of the Year 2016 - Florida Association for Women Lawyers
  • The Navy League of the United States
  • Catholic Lawyers Guild of the Diocese of St. Augustine
Find What You're Looking For